Instructor: Kristin Wittmayer
Community: School Ages, Group For Increasing Self-Confidence, 30 minutes
Plan Creation Date: April 22, 2015
Yoga Calm Principle/Lesson Goal: Strength
- Belly Breathing – Breathing to the beat of a drum. Drum can symbolize strength of a warrior. Do this standing on a mat with eyes closed (feet slightly wider than shoulder width) to feel the strength of the drum and the warrior inside.
- Yoga-Based Movement – Turn sideways on the mat and take an even wider stance for Star pose. Activate the core while stretching and elongating the arms and stabilizing the legs (strong and steady). Turn right toes forward to warrior 2 → right foot back to neutral → left foot changes to face backward for warrior 2 opposite direction → left foot changes to neutral and left foot steps to meet right for mountain pose. Arms reach to the sky for upward mountain with a big inhale, and exhale hands to heart center. Complete this sequence 3-4 times.
- Strong Voice Activity – Supine on mats with eyes closed. Use softer beat of drum to sink down into mat. Read questions from worksheet while allowing child to think for a minute or so about an answer. After all questions have been asked, encourage child to write it down on his/her own worksheet.
- Sharing – Processing of strong voice and discussion
- Mindful Moment – Strength Card – “Remember a time when you stood up for yourself or someone else. Where were you, and what did you stand up for? Think of the things in your life that are important to you and how you can stand up for your beliefs.”