Instructor: Caroline Falcone Goldstone
Community: Preschool ages, Classroom Setting?
Plan Creation Date: May 1, 2013
Yoga Calm Principle/Lesson Goal: Listening
- Belly Breathing – laying down, placing bean bag animal on top of belly, watching it move up and down with the breath.
- Cat/Cow – think of a cat after a long nap in the sun and a cow releasing her belly and lifting her nose up to the sky
- Downward Dog – Dolphin fin on lower back lifted above the ocean water, hands like starfish in the water
- Warrior I – Bubbling water creeping up from your feet, over your legs, torso, armpits, face and finally bursting out your fingertips in a beautiful water fountain (make a soft, spraying sound)
- Warrior II – your arms becoming rivers for the water.
- Peaceful Warrior – change the direction of the river, flowing down from the top of the mountain.
- Downward Dog – Dive down into the water like a dolphin, keeping your fin above the water.
- Plank – Keep fin up and move forward ready to swim closer to your friend
- Cobra – bend knees and slither close to the floor, low and then surprise! Pop up with a hiss
- Downward Dog (repeat session)
- From Cobra to River Rock (Child)
- Personal Space Game – ask for two volunteers to demonstrate in front of class. Go through the whole class so everyone who wants the opportunity has one to come in front of the class. Then line up in two lines, across from someone you have not done this with. Notice the differences and similarities. Discuss some ideas about how to communicate personal space with someone. “I need some space please” “I feel like being close” “Want to be cozy with me?” “Please move back” “I want to play, but I need space”
- Stay in child as I lay a beanbag animal on top of your back to rest. Feel your breath moving the animal up and down, rocking it gently to sleep.