Instructor: Elliot Witherspoon
Community: Preschool Ages, Classroom Setting, 30 minutes
Plan Creation Date: April 30, 2015
Yoga Calm Principle/Lesson Goal: Stillness
1. Treat yourself like royalty.
2. Respect each others’ space.
3. Use positive self-talk: I am strong. I am in control. I can do it. I can be responsible.
4. If you are struggling, instead of saying “I can’t”, say I’m not ready for that” or “I haven’t learned that yet”.
- Belly Breathing – Lie on your back with a stuffed animal on your belly. Use your breath to move your animal up and down slowly and smoothly with your inhale lasting the same amount of time as your exhale.
- Pulse Count – Finding the edge of your smile, trace your chin and jaw until you find your pulse. Hold your fingers there and notice your breath. Is it fast? Slow? Medium? After a time, notice it again. Has it changed?
- Rock & Roll – begin by gently rolling side to side. Not enough to knock you over, but just to let your body feel what it’s like to go side to side. Can you feel your spine? Now, rock forward to back, from your hips to your neck. Slowly, but fast enough to be able to move back and forth.
- Boat – Sit on your bottom with your hands on the backs of your legs. See if you can balance on your sits bones and be still. If you’re ready, move your arms to the sides of your legs. Lift your heart, your head and your belly. Lower your shoulders. Let’s be still together and then roll once more.
- Mountain – Discussion of mountains—local mountains that are familiar and how they don’t move. To the class: Moving up to your feet, shoulder width apart and activate your body. The way we activate is to notice our strength in our whole body. Start at your feet and notice your body activating to become stronger. Notice your legs, your belly, and your chest all activating. They are also still and strong. Now lift your head, your heart, your belly and lower your shoulders. Remember to breath. Relax and activate again.
- Star Pose – Jumping out so your arms are straight, your legs are wide and your body is strong. Look around at all your friends; all those bright stars! Let’s come together to be a bright star galaxy together.
- Compliment Circle – 3-5 children will have the opportunity to give compliments to the classmates who participated in the yoga class.