Instructor: Elliot Witherspoon
Community: Preschool Ages, Classroom Setting, 30 minutes
Plan Creation Date: April 30, 2015
Yoga Calm Principle/Lesson Goal: Grounding
1. Treat yourself like royalty.
2. Respect each others’ space.
3. Use positive self-talk: I am strong. I am in control. I can do it. I can be responsible.
4. If you are struggling, instead of saying “I can’t”, say I’m not ready for that” or “I haven’t learned that yet”.
- Belly Breathing – See if you can make your breathing be very soft and quiet. Can you use your nose to breath in and breath out?
- Mountain – Reaching up high, let your body be strong and still. The stiller you are the stronger you are and the stronger you are the stiller you are. Notice your breath moving your body.
- Forward Bend – Roll forward and let your head drop. Shake your head yes, no and slowly become still. Set up animal introduction.
- Downward Dog – Hands and feet are strong. Hands expand, feet are sometimes “walking” before becoming grounded on your mat. Noticing the stretch in your legs and back and allow head to drop.
- Cat/Cow – On all fours notice what the back can do. Arching up high, then reaching down low. Let the entire back stretch before being on the ground on the belly. Move your hips back and forth to stretch the back a little more and then return to feel your hands and knees on the mat.
- Cobra – Allow space to be on the ground, only using the body to wiggle itself before getting still and pushing up to hiss!
- Quiet Archetype Game – Play Archetype Game. Children are invited to be a quiet dog, cat, warrior, snake. Ask them to tiptoe back to their place.
- Twist – Mat or chair, depending on space available.
- Child’s Pose
- Relaxation – in Child’s Pose – read Mindful Moment Card about grounding.