Instructor: Anne Byer
Community: Middle School Students with Fetal Alcohol Syndrome, School Setting, 45 minutes
Plan Creation Date: February 17, 2015
Yoga Calm Principle/Lesson Goal: Stillness
- Belly Breathing – with Hobermen sphere – Student giving the instructions and moving the sphere
- Chime – Anne rings the chime and students listen and raise their hands when they no longer hear it
- Cat/Cow – Breathe out while focusing on rounding spine toward the ceiling by tucking your tail. Breath in, look up, up collar bones and let your stomach drop. Repeat 5 times.
- Mountain to Mountain (from Mat 20) – with leader 2 x (student volunteer to demonstrate the poses as Anne announces them)
- Mtn to Mtn – on own 3 x. Listen to your own breath and move when your body is ready to move. Focus on yourself and not anyone else around you.
- Mountain Pose – still for 30 seconds – When everyone has arrived at the last mountain pose hold for 5
- Child’s Pose – focus on your breath, the rhythm of it and how your body knows what to do to settle into stillness and relaxation.
- Relaxation – Corpse Pose – Stone on diaphragm for all students who want it. Body scan with attention to stillness in the face- relaxing eyes, cheeks, mouth, tongue. Guided imagery of laying on a blanket in nature and the only sounds were birds chirping, leaves rustling, water moving.