Instructor: Ruth Haske
Community: Kindergarten Ages, School Setting, 45 minutes
Plan Creation Date: August 9, 2015
Yoga Calm Principle/Lesson Goal: Community
- Belly Breathing – with one student leading with Hoberman sphere and another counting off a selected number of breaths (up to 10). Ask for compliments for the leader & counter.
- Volcano Breath – have one child lead. Practice volcano breath and send a wish to a friend. Let the children share their wish.
- Roots – send roots deep into the ground (imagining you are your tree). A strong wind comes and blows you and although you sway you are strong and do not fall.
- Star – Ask children to spread around the circular rug and be shining stars. Have them spread their arms out to each other and look around to see how many stars they have created.
- Galaxy (Star Circle) – bring the stars together and press hands together to form a ring of people (or a galaxy of stars). What happens when we activate the galaxy?
- Tree Circle – switch to tree pose whilst keeping in the circle. Activate the circle. What happens? Allow two children to become nighttime woodland animals who travel through the ‘forest’. Keep up the circle with the challengers moving through.
- Archetype Game – establish a list of archetypes from the fairy tales we have bene reading. Explore how these characters would move (safely) around the room. Use the chime when you wish the children to freeze between each archetype (as at other times). Have one child lead by calling out the archetypes. Switch up leaders after a few turns.
- Back Drawing – bring students back into a circle on the rug. Have them draw a gift on the person’s back in front of them. They can then whisper the gift into the ear of that child.
- Relaxation Story – guide a short story in which the children can fly together on the circular class rug. We fly out of the room and through the forest, along the road and up into the clouds. At the end of the adventure we return back to the classroom in time for lunch.