Instructor: Melanie Scott
Community: High School Ages, Yoga Calm Club, School Setting, 60 minutes
Plan Creation Date: January 21, 2016
Yoga Calm Principle/Lesson Goal: Listening
Objective: The student will practice the importance of listening to their bodies to prevent injuries and by mindfully eating a snack together.
- Belly Breathing – On the mat-belly breaths with the Hoberman sphere. Allow other students to lead and help count. Allow them to compliment each other.
- Leg Stretch – Have them use their big toes to spell the principle of the day: Listening. Learn to listen to our hearts, minds, and to our bodies-helps us respond to our needs with positive choices. We listen to our minds when we need and practice calm.
- Yoga Calm Mat 20 – Talk about how we listen to our body when we practice poses. We want to challenge ourselves, but not overdo it or cause injuries.
- Yoga Pretzel Partner Poses – if time – Learning to listen to others through verbal and non-verbal cues.
- Mindful Snack – Ahead of time, prepare a space as suggested by mindful snack (page 118). Pass around fruit and a piece of chocolate. Talk about how sometimes, especially at lunch, we eat so fast, we do not even realize what we have eaten or given ourselves a chance to enjoy the food. When we enjoy the food, we better listen to our bodies when we are full.