Instructor: Cynthia O’Connell
Community: High School ages, After school group, Boys and Girls Club, 45-60 minutes
Plan Creation Date: June 6, 2013
Yoga Calm Principle/Lesson Goal: Stillness
Academic/Therapeutic/Other Goals: Focusing, that stillness and breath work can help us to focus
Props/Music Resources required: Laptop for music, Pens, Mindful Moment Cards, Calm Voice worksheet, sphere
- Belly Breathing – with Hoberman Sphere student lead
- Mountain – Stand in Mountain for one full minute. Ask these questions? Is it hard to find stillness? Would it help if we practiced the breathing before we stood in mountain? Let’s try it. Follow your own breathing.
- Discussion – What was your experience? Can it help us to focus if we breathe before we attempt something difficult? Are there times when it is difficult for you to focus?
- Mat 20
- Eagle – Volunteer to show us eagle. Breathe, focus then attempt Eagle, both sides, all students. Find the stillness, hold eagle for 30 seconds to 1 minute.
- Mindful Moment card – Stillness – Take the next minute to listen to your breath See if you can follow your breath as it moves in and out of your body. Imagine your favorite color and picture yourself breathing that color in and out. What does that color mean to you? Have students close their eyes and do this exercise.
- Calm Voice worksheet – Read the questions, have students sit and listen. Then complete the worksheet. Share responses.
- Progressive relaxation exercise – Have students lay on their mats close eyes and do 5 breaths. Start with full body stretch feet and hands pulling apart. Then starting with feet, tense and release each body part.