Instructor: Jenifer Trivelli
Community: Grades PreK – 5, Community Setting, 45 minutes
Plan Creation Date: October 24, 2015
Yoga Calm Principle/Lesson Goal: Strength
- Hoberman Sphere Belly Breathing – invite students to imagine the strength their breath provides by nourishing all the parts of their bodies. Students take turns leading and choose a counter for 6 strong breaths.
- Woodchopper – Invite a student leader to demonstrate. Gather strength by activating the legs and arms, then imagine using that strength to chop a piece of wood. Expand through sound “HUH”. Repeat 10x. Allow time for compliments.
- Mat 15 – activate arms, legs, and heart in warrior, pausing there for 8 counts on each side. Highlight the strength of the warrior and ask students how we can use our strength in our lives.
- Tree – have students try for their personal best, to the beat of a drum.
- Seated Twist – feel the strength of your body as you breathe, then activate the spine to move the head towards the sky.
- Story – Read “The Boy Who Harnessed the Wind” – discuss how he used personal strength and determination to accomplish his goal of building the windmill.
- Guided Relaxation/Chime – ask students to think of something they would like to accomplish. Provide some suggestions: making a new friend, learning something new, building or creating something, etc. Next, have them imagine accomplishing their goal. Follow the sound of three chimes and imagine the goal being carried in the heart.