Instructor: Suzette Hayes
Community: Grades K-8, School Setting, 45 minutes
Plan Creation Date: May 1, 2016
Yoga Calm Principle/Lesson Goal: Listening
- Listen to the Drum/Chime – Invite everyone to sit comfortably on their mats and close their eyes. Tell them you are going to beat the drum and have them put their thumb up when they hear silence at the end of the sound.
- Volcano Breath – with drum: -Have students close their eyes and breathe in with 4 drum beats, arms moving out and then breathe out with 4 drum beats arms moving out and down. Try it with different beats. 6 beats inhale/8 beats exhale.
- Mat 20 – Stop in several of the poses and listen. What would you hear in the mountains? What does the wind sound like when you are in a tree? What does your dog sound like when you get home and she hasn’t seen you all day? Go through three times with students leading other times.
- Compliment Circle – Talk about what it means to be a good listener. How do you know when someone is really listening to you? (Eye contact, head nodding, response) Have each student take a turn in the circle and practice good listening.
- Relaxation Story – Read relaxing the whole body script with focus being on listening to their body as they use the phrase “calm and relax.” Ready Set Relax book, pg 59.