Instructor: Anna Hayek
Community: Grades K- 5 Afterschool Class, School Setting, 60 minutes
Plan Creation Date: April 11, 2016
Yoga Calm Principle/Lesson Goal: Stillness
- Chime – Ring chime gaze at an item from nature and focus on its stillness and beauty.
- Review Ground Rules
- Belly Breathing – with the Breathing Ball, Student Led, Compliments
- Pulse Count – Lay on back for Pulse Count
- Leg Extensions – Our focus today is on Stillness. Sometimes it can be difficult to be still. Sometimes our lives are so busy. Being still can help us feel calm, it can help us focus. It can help us have more self control. How do we balance being still and being active? Notice how we do this today in our Yoga class.
- Mat 20 – active portion Find all 4 corners of your feet in mountain (See Community Lesson for more about Mat 20)
- Woodchopper – See how still you can get before and after you chop your imaginary wood. Can you find stillness in between the times that you have to be active?
- Block Creek Can you find stillness in your mind as you move across the blocks? How does stillness help you with your balance?
- Balance Poses – How does finding stillness help you with your balance? Do you need to sway a bit sometimes? Use drum to count beats to focus on holding a pose and finding stillness. Dancer, Eagle, or Tree
- Rock and Roll
- Boat – find strength and stillness
- Calm Voice – without filling in paper just thinking about it and then sharing with a partner.
- Relaxation – Relax and find stillness in each part of your body from your head to your toes. Today we focused on Stillness. How can stillness be helpful to us?
- Belly Breathing – with the breathing ball – Student led.