Instructor: Melanie Harper
Community: Grade 4-5, School or Yoga Studio Setting, 60 minutes
Plan Creation Date: February 15, 2015
Yoga Calm Principle/Lesson Goal: Listening
- Belly Breathing – with Breathing Ball
- Down and Up Game – Kids take turn holding the butterfly and saying a down something negative and an up something positive, kids are not required to share a down, but every kid is required to share an up. The class practices listening to each others’ experiences.
- Yoga Flow – Roots, arm swings, mountain, forward fold, star, warrior 1, warrior 2, downward dog, cobra, downward dog, dolphin, bow, boat, leg extensions foot circles, rock and roll, bridge, child’s pose.
- Archetype Game – I use a small hand drum and the kids move in the different type of archetypes quietly. When I stop beating the drum the kids freeze and lower down, then when I say the name of the new archetype and start the drumbeat the kids grow into the archetype. The class has to listen to when the drum stops, to me stating the new archetype, and they have to listen for the drum to start again so they can grow into the new archetype.
- Discussion – about which archetypes are easy and which archetypes are more difficult to do. We discussed the trickster worksheet questions.
- Guided Relaxation – Lay down and just relax your body, relax your head, relax your arms, your back, and stomach, let your legs feel heavy and just close your eyes if that feels good. Take a deep breath in and out. This is your time to just be still, to let your brain rest for a short time. We go fast through our life, we are busy during school, so allow yourself this small moment of quiet. This is a gift for your body and for your whole self. Take a deep breathe in and listen to the sound of the music playing, notice any other sounds you hear. Now try to listen to your heart. What is it saying? Maybe your heart has a special message for you today. Maybe its telling you who to send your volcano breath to, perhaps your heart is asking you to give your volcano breath to yourself. Accept whatever your heart message is. And if you don’t hear a specific heart message that is ok too. Know that just lying quietly is enough, and be content with yourself, with your effort to be here practicing listening to your heart. Take another deep breath in and out. Now I want you to wiggle your toes, wiggle your fingertips move your head from side to side. When your ready, sit up slowly and open your eyes.
- Volcano Breath