Instructor: Jeanine Long
Community: Grades 4-5, Boys with anger issues, Classroom Setting?, 30-45 minutes
Plan Creation Date: July 9, 2013
Yoga Calm Principle/Lesson Goal: Listening
Props/Music/Resources Required: Hoberman Sphere, Calm Voice handout, quiet music and CD player
Calm – 10 min.
- Belly Breathing – with the Hoberman Sphere – Invite one of the boys to lead the group in belly breathing with the sphere
- Pulse count – for 15 seconds – Listen for the strong voice within you. What it is telling you?
Activate – 15 min.
- Calm Voice – Ask the boys to sit in their chairs or lie on the floor. Read the following statements to them. Where in your body do you find your calm voice? How do you hear that voice? Is the voice high or low? Imagine that voice. Does the voice talk fast or slow? When you hear your calm voice, who does it sound like? Does it remind you of someone special in your lie? What does it say? What is it telling you? Are there place you go where you can hear your calm voice? Is that place accessible to you at school? When can a calm voice help you? Think of situations at home and at school. Allow the boys an opportunity to write down their thoughts during this activity. This is a safe place where you can listen to your body and not be afraid of what it is telling you.
- Pulse count – Ask the boys to take their pulse for 15 seconds
Calm – 5 min.
- One Minute Exploration – Guide the boys on a one minute exploration where they plan a party for themselves and their friends. Who will you invite? Where will you celebrate? What are you celebrating? And why?