Instructor: Diane Ames
Community: Grades 3-5, School Setting, 30 minutes
Plan Creation Date: October 6, 2015
Yoga Calm Principle/Lesson Goal: Stillness
Atmosphere: quiet background music playing
- Belly Breathing – Supine belly breathing with hands on stomach. Use a triangle instrument to signify inhale/exhale. 5x in/out through nose, breathe into your hands until full then slow exhale.
- Stillness Challenge – Talk about when it’s important or necessary to be still…hunting, hide-seek, soldier. Challenge…I’m the bear in the woods, you’re staying still, so I don’t find you. Lie down in a comfortable position and be as still & quiet as you can. Talk about strategies for creating stillness.
- Rock & Roll to Boat – Hug legs into chest & push back into floor…Rock & Roll up into Boat (repeat a few times).
- Cat/Cow – Get onto all fours for Cat/Cow (INH arch-head bk, EXH round-head dwn) 4x.
- Yoga Flow – Tuck toes under & come into Plank, lower onto floor & push/hiss into Cobra (heart fwd), push back into Down Dog (spirit fingers…INH up on toes, EXH heels dwn 4x)…repeat short sequence 4x. Walk hands into Forward Bend/Fold, rag doll, feet straight ahead, hold 8 cts. Roll it up to standing with hands at heart for 4 Volcano breaths. Either repeat from Cat/Cow with a leader at front OR continue to CALM. If leader, take time for compliments.
- Child’s Pose – Kneel down into Child’s pose, feel your breath expand your back & relax into position, hands can be under forehead or at sides (palms up)…option is fetal position on side or whatever is comfortable.
- Relaxation – Finish with relaxation story Cloud of Calmness on page 70 in the book Ready, Set, Relax.