Instructor: MaryClair Birkemeir
Community: PE Setting, Grades 1-5
Plan Creation Date: January 14, 2009
Yoga Calm Principle/Lesson Goal: Community
- Belly Breathing – Lying on their backs, breathing so I can see their hands moving up and down.
- Pulse count – 30 seconds. Compare each other’s pulse counts.
- Mountain to Upward Mountain to Chair – work on smooth transition. Watch each other in 2 groups with compliments afterwards.
- Dolphin – Imagery, imagine being in the water and flipping your body out into the warm sunlight. Repeat four times.
- Eagle to Eagle on a cliff – Work on getting good and balanced perched on the tree and then take off soaring! Repeat twice on each leg.
- Sun Salutation – 2 sun salutations with different leaders (one female, one male; choose students who have demonstrated leadership qualities today and name those qualities for the class).
- Trust Walk – Have a discussion regarding the importance of building trust in a community. Who do you trust? Why? Who do you not trust? Why? Is trust easy to grow? What about destroy?
- Progressive Relaxation – alternately tense and relax specific muscle groups.
- Pulse count – compare difference between pulse count in the beginning, and pulse count at the end of class.