Instructor: Ivett Almaguer
Community: Grades 1-3, 8 to 11 students a public Montessori Elementary School, After School Enrichment Class, 45 minutes
Plan Creation Date: September 30, 2013
Yoga Calm Principle/Lesson Goal: Stillness
Props/Music/Resources Required: Hoberman Sphere, Beanbag
- Name Toss Game – Introduction of Names – Beanbag toss game to share names. Each friend speaks her/his name and passes the beanbag. Once all names have been shared, friends must speak another friend’s name before passing to her/him.
- Mother Earth Song – Introduce drumming the rhythm on our thighs.
- Belly Breathing – One student leads with Hoberman Sphere, and another counts off a selected number of breaths. Have students place their hands on both sides of their rib cage during this activity and ask them if they can feel their ribs expanding with breath.
- Listen – Close your eyes and notice how many different sounds you can hear in 30 seconds.
- Affirmations – “I am strong. (Horse stance with fists raised.) I am in control. (Activate star pose.) I am responsible. (Warrior I) I can do this! (Warrior II)” switch sides.
- Yoga Calm Top 10 – series of movements
- Activate/Relax Walk Activity
- Trust Walk
- Yoga Flow – Interactive Visualization through Mountain, Tree, Eagle, and Flying Eagle pose- You are an eagle sitting on a tree that is growing off the side of a mountain. You look at everything below you and notice a tiny animal looking for seeds. What kind of animal are you hunting? You are hungry and take off to catch your prey. You miss. Go back to your tree perch (Eagle on other side), and try again. Do you catch the animal? (Warrior I) Do you miss it? (Humble Warrior)
- Changing Channels Activity
- Twist – sitting
- One Minute Exploration – Imagine a place where you feel safe and happy. What does it look like, smell like, feel like, sound like, and taste like? Imagine yourself sitting still taking in all of these senses and notice how all these things combine to make you feel good. Hold these feelings of peace in your heart and breathe out anything that you are ready to let go of.