Instructor: Caroline Falcone Goldstone
Community: Grade 4, Classroom Setting?
Plan Creation Date: May 1, 2013
Yoga Calm Principle/Lesson Goal: Strength
- Hoberman Sphere
- Pulse Count
- Leg Stretch – Drawing the moon on the ceiling to illuminate the dark sky
- Boat – You are in the middle of the ocean on a brightly moonlit night, guided by the strength of the moon
- Volcano Breaths – The mountain gathering strength, boiling up and up and bursting out the toppy top
- Mountain – Rise to slowly to Mountain, using the strength in your body to bring you up, taking 7 seconds to rise to your full height.
- Star – activate and expand whole body, shine as bright as the moon, leading the way for other boats on the river
- Galaxy – Press hands together and form many stars in the sky. Sing Twinkle Twinkle Little Star
- Upward Mountain – Reach up to touch the moon
- Forward Bend – release your back, arms, neck and head. Put your head under a delightful and glistening waterfall found on the sides of mountains.
- Downward Dog – Your lower back is now the tip of the mointain with strong sides holding you up
- Plank – Flatten your mountain, keeping your tip higher than the rest of the mountain
- Cobra – Bend knees and lower down to the ground like a snake wiggling through the dirt
- SuperFriend – Arms and legs out and fly over the mountain, peering down over the very white top
- Downward Dog – Become the mountain again
- Forward Bend – Release all tension as the water flows from your lower back into the streams on the mountain
- Upward Mountain – Slowly, using all the muscles in your body, move carefully to upward mountain, reaching up to the moon, expanding and activating
- Woodchopper – Bring hands together, bend knees and pretend it’s very cold and you want to start a campfire on the mountain. Get ready to chop. As you chop the wood, say the word chop! Decide as a group how mant times to do this. Ask for demonstrators and leaders
- Mountain – Become the majestic mountain, covered with glistening snow
- Tree – Become a tree on the mountain, quietly being nurtured by the healthy soil on the mountain
- Activate/Relax Game – ask for a volunteer to make music with bells, tambourine, triangle. Group walks slowly around the room when the music stops, we freeze and activate in mountain pose or star pose. When music begins, walk slowly again, in a relaxed state much as a turtle moves.
- Twist – Slowly like a turtle, walk to your mat, lie down, hug knees and sway legs side to side as the wind blows the branches of a weeping willow tree. Spread arms like an eagle, bring knees to floor, look opposite direction Feel the strength of the earth below you holding you in this relaxed state.