Instructor: Vanessa Gill
Community: Grade 2, 45-60 minutes
Plan Creation Date: November 1, 2015
Yoga Calm Principle/Lesson Goal: Stillness
Academic/Therapeutic/Other Goals: Remaining Calm and controlling our bodies in this space.
Props/Music Resources Required: Music, Mats
- Set the tone for a calm session (Calm).
- Volcano Breath – Start w/ Seated Volcano Breath (have students lead).
- Set Group & Individual Intentions – I’ll share intention for the group. Allow the students opportunity to share their own personal intentions.
- Archetypes Game or Mat Tag – Allow students to guide & direct the game
- Move into a standing flow.
- Woodchopper (student Lead) & Forward Fold
- Flow into Mountain & Star rotation
- Flow from Star to Warrior to Side Angle (flow through each side 3 times)
- Mountain – Hold Mountain & check in – Feet Grounded, Legs Strong, Strong Arms – Fingers free: Wiggle out (release) energy.
- Forward Fold, Mountain to Star
- Forward Fold – From Star flow into a chest stretch with arms wide then into a wide legged Forward Fold – Check in with Feet: Wider than shoulder length apart & Planted firmly on the ground, Arms: Take a comfortable variation, Legs: Strong and extended, Head: Allow it to hang low below your shoulders. Brings hands to a T and slowly raise up with a flat back. Heel toe feet together into a forward fold.
- Cat/Cow – Kneel to all 4’s – Flow through cat cow w/ chimes cuing transitions (flow through 4 times) – Inhale cat: raise back, suck tummy in, roll head in and look towards, Exhale Cow: raise head up, lower belly and sink your back in.
- Table Top & Child’s Pose – Come back to a table top then inhale and slide hands forward and move into child’s pose. Allow compliments for student leader
- Changing Channels – (5-7 minutes) – Choose a student leader to pick 2 examples for students to change channels with. Allow 2-3 students to lead & give examples.
- Community Circle – Allow students to individually share how they are feeling.
- Short Story & Back Drawing – Form a large group circle for back drawing with a guided story & students.
- Final Relaxation – (2-3 minutes) – Begin w/ guided relaxation. Energy should already be calm. Start students off by calming their bodies and minds (30-40 seconds)
Then allow them to remain in silence and have the freedom to give themselves what they need. Examples include: Sitting/laying in silence, Going on the “boat ride”, Tightening and relaxing muscles to calm the body & mind, Channeling your “happy/safe place”, Awareness & power check, Noticing – Feet: grounding & strength, Legs: power, Arms & hands: Release energy, Breath: release.