Instructor: Karah Spahn
Community: Grade 2, School Setting, 30 minutes
Plan Creation Date: November 1, 2016
Yoga Calm Principle/Lesson Goal: Community
Materials: Breathing ball, Chime, UFO ball
- Belly Breathing – with helper: Let’s breathe in and out together. Our classroom is one type of community and we are connected by breathing in and out together. (Give thanks and compliments).
- Mindful Moment – Ring the chime and have students think about our classroom community, friends, teachers, and helpers that make it successful.
- Spahn Stretch – Choose two helpers to lead Spahn Stretch: Mountain, Upward Mountain, Forward Fold, Arms out to sides & above, Crescent Moon (L, then R), Hands to heart. (Give thanks and compliments).
- Star Galaxy – Form a circle in the room and do star pose. Ask students to make eye contact with someone across the circle from them. Who is this person? How is this person connected to you? Are they a friend? Someone who is hard to get along with? Someone you want to get to know better? Regardless, they are part of this community and we are all connected. Join hands and form a galaxy. Feel the energy surge from your hands.
- UFO Ball – Use the UFO ball to show students our energy. When one of us ‘drops out’, our energy is missing.
- Tree & Tree Circle – (working together, being part of a team, being part of a community).
- Partner Pull – with emphasis on community– supporting someone and being supported by someone.
- Child’s Pose – or lie down comfortably.
- Relaxation – Mindful Moment: Take a moment to remember the names of the people in our school community. Think of friends, teachers, helpers, cooks, custodians, volunteers. Imagine them making a circle with you– to show we help each other in need. (Pause, give time to think about these people) As you go about your day, think of how you help and are helped by our school community.