Instructor: Anne Buchwald
Community: Grade 2, classroom, 30-40 minutes
Plan Creation Date: February 28, 2013
Yoga Calm Principle/Lesson Goal: Strength
- Today we are going to be talking about strength, not just physical, but mental and emotional as well.
- Volcano breath – (breathing in strength, breathing out thoughts to someone you love)
- Warrior one and two poses – (pretend you are a super hero, strong and brave. Put on a strong face as you activate the poses. As you reach up in warrior one, say “I am strong” and “I can do it.”)
- Woodchopper – Big breath up and release of energy with vocal as they chop.
- Various strength poses such as boat, plank, chair, dolphin – Challenge them to hold the pose. Talk about strength and endurance. Notice how your body has the ability to do what you ask of it.
- Various stretching poses – such as Star, triangle, cobra, leg extensions, side angle, downward dog, twist, bow, partner pull, shoulder clock and emphasize the importance of stretching. How did it feel working with a partner versus alone?
- Dim lights and play soft music
- Guided visualization – Think about a time when you felt very strong: Did you stick up for someone on the playground? Help your mom out with the groceries? Make a good play in basketball? Get a shot a the doctor’s office? How did it feel to be strong? Were you proud, scared? Imagine the strength it takes to ignore a mean comment, to walk away from a fight, to stick up for someone being bullied.