Instructor: Anne Buchwald
Community: Grade 2, classroom, 30-40 minutes
Plan Creation Date: February 28, 2013
Yoga Calm Principle/Lesson Goal: Community
- Make a human breathing ball – having children hold hands in a circle. Step out while breathing in, step in while breathing out.
- Do community circle worksheet – on the white board – Have volunteer come up to write and ask children who they look to for support.
- Star pose compliment circle – Have children do star pose in a circle touching fingers to fingers. Go around the circle having each child turn to his/her right and give that person a compliment. Once we’ve completed the circle, process how it felt to be complimented.
- Trust walk – First have children try to walk (safely) by themselves around the room with their eyes closed. Then pair them up and have one close their eyes while the other leads them around the room. Make it into a sensory activity/guessing game by having the leader chose three things for his partner to touch and guess what it is. Process what it felt like by themselves vs having a partner lead them.
- Dim lights and play soft music
- Guided visualization – Have them visualize they are at their own birthday party and everyone who loves and supports them is in the room. See each face smiling at you on your special day. Imagine the cake, the balloons, all the love in the room. There is a gift for you. You open it—what do you see inside?