Instructor: Josie Mostek
Community: Grade 1, Classroom Setting, 30 minutes
Plan Creation Date: October 3, 2016
Yoga Calm Principle/Lesson Goal: Stillness
- Belly Breathing – Leaders lead the class in breathing with Hoberman Sphere and chime. Have students give compliments. Do heart and volcano breaths.
- Breathing with Buddies – Students lay on backs on mats for Belly Breathing on back. Place breathing buddy on bellies and practice stillness to keep buddy on belly and deep belly breathing. Watch buddies go up and down. Compare how buddies look when you do Belly Breathing vs. not Belly Breathing.
- Forward Bend – Imagine your back, head, and arms flowing like a waterfall.
- Chair – Lift the belly, head, and heart…. Notice how strong and still your body can be.
- Cat and Cows – Move slowly from one pose to another, making sure that your breath flows with your movement.
- Child’s Pose – Let your head be heavy and relax your shoulders…notice your breath go into your belly….listen to your breath go in and out.
- Back Drawing – Make a circle and begin by making rain on your friend’s back….making gentle taps on the back. Light thunder- gentle tapping, Lightning- draw lightning strikes, Draw big, puffy, rain clouds, Brush clouds away- gently sweep hands across the back, Sun comes out- draw a big, happy sun, Continue with Back Drawing- Place palms on friend’s back, notice how still your body is. Close your eyes and feel the warm hand on your back. Imagine yourself in your favorite place with the sun warming your back. When the sun comes out, draw a flower for your friend.
- Chime – ring chime, reminding students to practice stillness.