Instructor: Josie Mostek
Community: Grade 1, Classroom Setting, 30 minutes
Plan Creation Date: October 5, 2016
Yoga Calm Principle/Lesson Goal: Listening
- Belly Breathing – Leaders lead the class in breathing with Hoberman Sphere and chime. Have students give compliments. Do heart and volcano breaths.
- Chime Activity – Ring the chime. When you stop hearing the chime, go to heart center.
- Chair 15 – After each pose, find your breath and listen to your breathing. Listen to the voice inside your head as your breathe. Practice positive self talk… especially if poses get tricky for you. Go through the active part of Chair 15 two times.
- Compliment Game – Pick 2 yoga stars for the day (leaders). Have students go around and give compliments to each student. Remind students to make eye contact and listen. The 2 yoga stars practice saying thank you after the compliment.
- Twist – back in chairs. Slowly and gently turn your belly, heart, and head toward the back of the chair…inhale and lengthen the spine, exhale and twist. Check your shoulders to make sure they are back and down.
- Relaxation – Listening Mindful Moment Card – as students are relaxed in chairs, resting their heads on desks, read “Listening” Card: “Notice what you are thinking about right now…”