Instructor: Josie Mostek
Community: Grade 1, Classroom Setting, 30 minutes
Plan Creation Date: October 7, 2016
Yoga Calm Principle/Lesson Goal: Community
- Belly Breathing – Leaders lead the class in breathing with Hoberman Sphere and chime. Have students give compliments.
- Volcano Breaths – Do heart and volcano breaths.
- Exploring Feelings Activity – Gather students at the carpet and brainstorm a list of feelings with the students. Discuss and record the purpose of these feelings. Have students come to the front and act out a feeling, while others guess. Discuss how different feelings can look the same. Practice looking strong with our posture and friendly with our face expressions.
- Tree Circle – Press into your friends’ hands to feel support. Ground and press your feet into the earth to feel grounded. As you lift your leg in Tree Pose, root your standing leg into the earth. Notice how you can feel the support from the friends next to you… and they are supported by the friends next to them… and so on…making our tree circle connected and our community strong in the classroom. Do other leg…noticing the same thing.
- Child’s Pose – Students go to mats and into child pose. Stack your hands on the floor to make a pillow or pull arms alongside your body. Relax your head and let it be heavy as your breathe into your back.
- Relaxation – Community Card – “Now imagine yourself in a peaceful setting…” Invite students to choose a relaxing pose. They may choose to stay in child’s pose or move to their backs or sides. Read the card when in a pose.