Instructor: Samantha Thompson
Community: Elementary Ages, School Setting, 30 minutes
Plan Creation Date: November 1, 2016
Yoga Calm Principle/Lesson Goal: Stillness
- Belly Breathing – Hoberman Sphere- Breathe in and feel that moment of stillness before we exhale. After we exhale, become aware of that moment of stillness before we inhale again. Notice the difference between that stillness and your breath.
- Mindful Moment Card – “Take the next minute to listen to your breath. See if you can follow your breath as it moves in and out of your body. Imagine your favorite color and picture yourself breathing that color in and out. What does that color mean to you?
- Rock and Roll to Boat – Give your spine a massage as you rock and roll the length of your spine. After four of five rock and rolls, activate your muscles to be a very still boat on a lake waiting for the fish. You don’t want to move a muscle. As you breathe, follow that color of your breath over the water as you sit still in your boat.
Roll up to standing .
- Star – Activate your muscles and shine out your colors from every limb. Imagine you are shining from the sky? What do you see below?
- Crescent Moon – Feel the stretch and shine your light on the world. From the stillness of the sky, what can you see?
- Warrior I – Shine out your color and feel the stillness in your muscles as you activate your muscles.
- Tree – Let the wind blow through your branches, then return to stillness, feeling the contrast between windy and still.
- Mountain – Get in to your strong mountain pose. Forward fold, Mountain. Notice what it feels like to be still as the world continues to move around you.
- Relaxation – Tense and release Progressive relaxation- page 133. Start with tensing and releasing feet, moving up legs, stomach, arms, shoulders, face/head. Notice how we are remaining still, but still activating and releasing into greater relaxation.