Instructor: Amy Broich
Community: Elementary Ages, School Setting, 30-45 minutes
Plan Creation Date: November 1, 2016
Yoga Calm Principle/Lesson Goal: Community
- Belly Breathing – Deep Belly Breaths with Hoberman Sphere, passing it around so each child can lead us in a breath (or 2, depending on size of the group). Compliments for anyone? “Today we are going to focus on Community. Can anyone tell us what that means to you? How are we a community? How was our class a community? How is Newport? In a community people support and help each other. We care for one another in a community.”
- Roots and Name Toss Game
- Upward Mountain – Move back to your mat and raise your hands up into a tall Mountain pose.
- Dancer – Slowly we are going to balance into a Dancer pose. Hold for 3, 2, 1. Other side.
- Partner Pull – Turn to a partner, we are going to try Partner Pull. Help each other.
- Block Creek Activity –we are going to need to work together as we cross a creek. The first time try and walk across the creek by yourself, you can look down at the “rocks” to step on so you don’t fall in. The 2nd time you have to look straight ahead or you might miss your ledge on the other side, try it by yourself—luckily you have a friend on the other side that can help you if you can’t find the rock with your feet. Last time your eyes are going to be closed. There is a friend in the water that can hold your hand and help you across.”
- Back Drawing – “Sitting in a circle close enough so you can reach the person in front of you and the person behind you can reach your back.” Read back drawing script in Yoga Calm book, P. 62.
- Final Relaxation – “Lay on your back on your mat, melting into your mat, let your body relax. Take a few deep breaths in, then let your breath return to normal. Think about how you helped and supported someone today. How did that feel? How did it feel when someone helped you?”