Instructor: Erin Brennan
Community: Elementary Ages, 30 minutes
Plan Creation Date: November 2, 2015
Yoga Calm Principle/Lesson Goal: Grounding
Props/Music Resources Required: Chime, Hoberman Sphere, Calm-Down Jar
- Students are seated cross-legged in a circle on the floor.
- Chime – Sounding a chime once to center the students and prepare them for the lesson. Asking them to give thumbs-up once they can no longer hear the chime.
One student sounding the chime. Asking the students to keep their bodies very still.
Asking the students what other sounds came to their awareness.
- Belly Breathing – One student leads with Hoberman Sphere and another counts off a selected number of breaths. Ask three volunteers to give compliments to the student leading the breathing
- Calm-Down Jar – Holding up the Calm-Down Jar for all the students to see, ask the students to imagine the jar represents their minds at rest, calm, present and grounded. Shake the jar and then hold it still, asking the students to imagine that the glitter presents their thoughts and emotions swirling around. Using the Hoberman Sphere, lead the students in three belly-breaths as the glitter settles.
- Mountain Pose – Lift the toes and then splay them out on the floor, feeling all four corners of your feet rooted to the ground. Plant your feet, grow roots, and sway from side to side, backwards and forwards.
- Standing Flow – Volcano breath, forward fold, touch floor, halfway lift, forward fold, roll up, chair. Repeat two more times.
- Tree alone
- Supported Tree
- Relaxation – students lie on their backs with eyes closed. Read Appreciate Script “Get Away” from Ready, Set, R.E.L.A.X pp. 134-135