Instructor: Tracy Cielto
Community: All Ages, 60 minutes
Plan Creation Date: October 28, 2015
Yoga Calm Principle/Lesson Goal: Grounding
Academic/Therapeutic/Other Goals: Connection to earth and feel safe and secure, a sense of control over their environment.
Props/Music Resources Required: Chime, Hoberman Sphere
- Students are seated cross-legged in a circle on the floor
- Chime – Sounding a chime once to center the students and prepare them for the lesson. Asking them to give a thumbs-up once they can no longer hear the chime. One student sounding the chime. Asking the students to keep their bodies very still. Asking the students what other sounds came to their awareness.
- Belly Breathing – One student leading with Hoberman Sphere and another counting off a selected number of breaths. Asking three volunteers to give compliments to the student leading the breathing.
- Students come to all fours with hands under shoulders and knees under hips..
- Cat/Cow – Breath smoothly and slowly, moving from Cat to Cow and matching the motion with the breath.
- Cobra – Instead of pushing up into the pose, have students pull their heart forward and up while keeping the shoulders back and down and elbows slightly bent and close to ribs.
- Dolphin – Use positive self-talk: “i am strong. I am in control. I can do it.”
- Downward Dog – Walk hands back to feet to come to forward bend
- Forward Bend – Press feet down and lengthen legs
- Mountain – Press feet into the ground in order to lift the top of their head toward the sky: “Feel the strength and stability of the mountain inside”
- Star – Have students think of something they would like to share with the world and shine it out like the sun.
- Side Angle
- Woodchopper – Make the “Huh” sound come from the deepest part of the belly – ask if students feel a difference doing it this way.
- Relaxation – students lie on their backs with eyes closed. Read Mindful Moment Card on Grounding – Think of your favorite tree. Now imagine that you can plant that tree in a special place. Go to that place, dig a hole and plant the tree. Imagine that u can see into the future and watch the tree grow tall.