Instructor: Janice Jordan
Community: Ages/Grades?, Therapy for children, Setting?, 30-45 minutes
Plan Creation Date: June 15, 2013
Yoga Calm Principle/Lesson Goal: Listening
Class intention: To teach and model listening. Poster of how to use Active Listening. Listening to mind, body and emotions, Dim light, soft music, candles on each mat.
- Breath work – emphasis on listening to the breathe moving in and out of the body creating wave-like sounds.
- Belly breathing
- Opening remarks – Use script from Yoga Calm: An Integrated Approach to Wellness, Listening Inquiry, page 32. Listen to your heart, what is it telling you…etc.
- Yoga-based Activities – have two children demonstrate
- Back breathing exercise
- Back drawing exercises
- Pulse count
- Yoga Top 10 – using words like listening to your body, activating, expand, contract.
- Child’s pose – End in Child’s pose.
- Social Emotional Activities – Communication Game on page 109 of Yoga Calm for Children – Situations: Sarah’s friends have been ignoring her lately. Mike was accused of cheating during the baseball game at recess. Mary said she no longer wants to be friends with me because I betrayed a confidence. Ask group to write own situations.
- Relaxation – Have children come up with thoughts. Create a story about listening.