Instructor: Renee Combs
Community: Ages/Grades?, Setting?
Plan Creation Date: January 14, 2014
Yoga Calm Principle/Lesson Goal: Listening
Goal: Build on Prior Knowledge – Community. This lesson will focus on listening to our inner voice and to others around us. The intention, or goal, will be for students to learn methods of finding their calm voice to help become better listeners.
- Belly Breathing – with Hoberman Sphere. Teacher Lead/Student Lead – Close eyes and listen to your breath.
- Opening Remarks – We are going to focus on finding our calm voice so that we can become better listeners in the classroom. This lesson will be non-verbal.
- Pulse Count – “Listen to our hearts”
- Roots – “Find our connection to the earth, and plant our roots”
- Tree – “Focus and listen to your inner voice for balance”
- Back Drawing – Social Emotional Activity
- Tree Circle
- Discussion – How does it feel to be quiet? It may be easy for some and hard for others. Choose which is easier for you and turn to a friend and share your opinion.
- Relaxation – Have students close eyes and focus on listening to breath as Calm Voice (p.107) is read to them. Have them open eyes, write down responses, and share with partner.