Instructor: LauraRose Hisrich
Community: Ages?, Community Housing School Aged Free class, 45-60 Minutes
Plan Creation Date: January 29, 2014
Yoga Calm Principle/Lesson Goal: Stillness
Academic/Therapeutic/Other Goals: Review and practice using each other’s names/learn new kids. Practice last week’s activities, but add a “stillness” twist to each. Add Volcano Breath and Twist to complete learning all Top 10 poses
Props/Music Resources Required: Snack, Mats, Hoberman Sphere, Drum/Mallet, R.E.L.A.X. book, music & CD player (be sure correct music is loaded & it works before starting class! Have it playing as they enter), Mindful Moments — Stillness Card
Before Class: Labels/markers for names. Set out snacks if available. Move tables. Dust mop/ vacuum floor. Mats & bricks set out with nametags for those here last week. Other props at front. On entry have kids sign in, remove shoes, color nametags if new this week, get contact info from parents if available. If snack is available they can just eat it now at the table! Kids who brought back contact form get a sticker for their nametag! And a shining star note.
- Circle Up / Greeting – Min 0-10 – Brown Bear Greeting – 2 students looks at each other and everyone sings “1st child, 1st child who do you see.? I see _1st child says 2nd child’s name_ looking at me” – High Fives all around, back to mats. Point out the word on my board and ask kids what they think STILLNESS is. Be positive about responses! Pause music.
- Ground Rules – Super Duper Quickly Review ground rules and principles (on poster).-HAVE VOLUNTEERS READ THEM–ask last week’s “experts” to expound.
- Belly Breathing – Min 11-17 – Resume music, settle on bottoms – belling breathing with Hoberman Sphere: I think you all know how to do this–today I want you to concentrate on feeling how still your body is–only your belly moves in and out as the air comes and goes through your nose, pick count-er and leader –do between 4-7 breaths – Pause music
- Pulse Count – review Pulse Count: Did anyone practice finding their pulse this past week? Practice perfect stillness for 15 seconds while you feel your pulse–you can try counting in your head how many beats you feel if your ready for that yet–if you’re not ready for that yet, it’s just fine to just feel if it is fast or slow. Compliment stillness/respect. If kids having trouble they can just feel their heartbeat in their chest!
- Top 10 – Min 18-45 – Today we are going to practice our poses and also learn the last 2 poses for the TOP 10 flow.
- Volcano Breath – (pg 97) – is one of our new ones–In this one we hold our breath in perfect stillness for just a second while we focus on someone in our lives who might need a little extra love, then we breath out like a volcano and send all that energy we stored up out to that person. So, think of someone special to whom you want to send your. Special Heart thoughts. Breath in, be still and thoughtful, now let it woosh out through your mouth this time. Do 3 more–just me leading today.
- Woodchopper – (pg. 100) – Before you chop, you are perfectly still, gathering up all your strength to chop that firewood. Can you be perfectly still while I count to 3 each time? Pick child to lead. Compliments.
- Mountain – (pg. 79) – ACTIVATED stillness. Review drum speed–try 6 beats. Relax now for a moment while Leader and Drummer come up to lead. Can you be perfectly still, yet activated for even longer?! 7-10 beats. Compliments. Feelings?
- Roots – (pg. 85) – Roots keep us from falling over–they keep us grounded. As you make you circles smaller and smaller fell yourself becoming more and more still.
- Crescent Moon – (Pg. 96) – 4 points of stillness-up, side, up, side–each place 4 drum beats stretching to the moon, but still between movements.
- Dancer – (pg. 72) – try to focus on one thing that doesn’t move–your mind needs to be still- and focused on yourself– so that your body can balance in stillness.
- Twist – (pg. 95) – Here’s our other new one today–TWIST –just relax and let your back stretch while you lie in still ness for 10 drum beats on each side–just me today for sake of time!
- Activate/Relax Walk (pg. 58) – New game: stay on mats just wandering around in a relaxed way–just walking–no-running–but be ready for me to call out ACTIVATE! Right then become perfectly still in whatever shape you like–must be on 2 feet this time.
- Pulse Count – Min 45-48 – Sit back on bricks. Resume music. Practice perfect stillness for 15 seconds while you feel your pulse–you can try counting in your head how many beats you feel if your ready for that yet–if you’re not ready for that yet, it’s just fine to just feel if it is fast or slow. Compliment stillness/respect.
- Belly Breathing – with Hoberman Sphere – I think you all know how to do this–today I want you to concentrate on feeling how still your body is–only your belly moves in and out as the air comes and goes through your nose, pick count-er and leader –do between 4-7 breaths, Compliments.
- Relaxation – Min 48-55 – It’s important to let our bodies soak up the things it has learned, so we always end with a little relaxing time. You can lie any way you want on your mat/use your brick as a pillow etc. Please close your eyes so you don’t get distracted by things around you. You need to be very still still and listening, so your imagination can take over while your body is still and resting, then I’ll tell you a story – Story from RELAX book: Rainbow Wear pg. 104.
- Clean-up – Min 55-60 – Gently sit up. Clean up mats and bricks, Say goodbye to each child by name and ask what their favorite part was. Tell them that you look forward to seeing them next week. Clean up room, turn off light, lock door etc!