Instructor: Brian Oringdulph
Community: Ages 5-12, Secure Child/Adolescent Inpatient Psychiatric Setting, 30-45 minutes
Plan Creation Date: January 20, 2016
Yoga Calm Principle/Lesson Goal: Strength
Props/Musical Resources Required: Drum, Chime, Mindful Moment Cards, Stuffed Animal, Music, CD.
- Volcano Breathing – Demonstrate volcano breathing and then invite someone to help lead the group. Encourage the group to think of compliments
- Leg Stretch/Leg Extensions – Have the group draw in the sky with their big toe their favorite superhero. After the leg stretching is over, have the group share who their favorite super hero is.
- Rock and Roll/Boat – Have the group rock 4 times and then transition to the boat pose. Have the group pass around a ball/stuffed animal. After the first round, have the group think of a rule to enact while passing the ball around (only catch with left hand, can not look at the person they are throwing to).
- Alternative Arm/Leg Kicks – Remind the group to engage their core and work slowly.
- Cat/Cow – As the group if someone would like to help lead cat/cow.
Roots- While practicing this pose, invite the group to imagine someone in their life that provides strength is holding their feet to the ground.
- Mat 20 – Use the theme of strength when describing the appropriate form of the poses.
- Trickster – Start by playing some mysterious sounding music. Read the Archetype worksheet to them. After you are done, have them either quietly fill out the sheet or have them share what they came up with.
- Relaxation – Guided meditation