Instructor: Brian Oringdulph
Community: Ages 5-12, Secure Child/Adolescent Inpatient Psychiatric Setting, 30-45 minutes
Plan Creation Date: January 20, 2016
Yoga Calm Principle/Lesson Goal: Stillness
Props/Musical Resources Required: Drum, Chime, Mindful Moment Cards, Stuffed Animal, Music, CD.
- Child Pose – Set up the room so there is calm music playing and lamps set up in the room. Invite the group to enter the room slowly, pick a mat and start in child pose. Tell them to listen carefully for the sound of the drum. Once they hear the drum, slowly rise into a seated position.
- Pulse Count – Ask the group to find their pulse, and ask them to count their hear beat for 15 seconds.
- Volcano Breathing – Demonstrate volcano breathing for 5 breaths then invite someone to come up to the front and lead the group in volcano breaths and ask them to pick a counter. Remind the group to think of compliments and remind the leader to provide compliments to the counter.
Activate (Pick up lights, but save for later)
- Warrior 1 to Warrior 2 Sequence with Chime – Explain to the group that they need to listen carefully to the chime. When they can no longer hear the sound, move from warrior 1 to warrior 2. Complete at least 3 sequences.
- Mat 20 – Encourage the group to listen to their bodies. Ask the group to be extra quiet during the series of poses. Ask the group how it feels to practice yoga in a quiet environment.
- Changing Channels – Ask the group to sit and shut their eyes and focus on what’s on their mind. Explain the changing channels activity. Ask the group how they could use this to calm and quiet their minds during times of stress and anxiety, especially while at the hospital.
- Leg Stretching
- Relaxation – Guided meditation