Instructor: Carolyn Ripp
Community: 7th Grade Health and PE Classes, School Setting, 60 minutes
Plan Creation Date: July 1, 2013
Yoga Calm Principle/Lesson Goal: Grounding
Setting: 7th Grade integrated Health and PE Classes : 44 students ( teach this lesson 3x a day) for 5 lesson unit, as a pilot program for a small grant I wrote through Cloquet Ed Foundation. The program was well received with 84% of students favorable response. Next year we will include 6th,7th, and 8th grade classes into the curriculum.
Props: yoga mat, music, Hoberman ball
- Opening remarks – What does it mean to be grounded, centered, stable, balanced, and whole? What helps us to feel grounded? Examples – love, family, children, music, friends,
- Volcano breath
- Lion’s breath
- Woodchopper – release frustration, anger, or fear
- Fwd fold
- Star – expanding out through the finger tips, feet grounding into the earth
- Warrior 2 – not reaching into past or future too much but right here, now.
- Triangle – on right
- Warrior 2 – on Left
- Triangle – on left
- Mountain – allow body to absorb the work
- Relaxation – Consider planting a flower, plant, or tree, along with it, plant your dream. Or desire, then nurture it , enjoying seeing it grow the fruits of your labor. Consider these positive responses to yourself, or one of your own: I am lovable, I am loved, I am resilient, I am flexible, I am clear, focused, I am centered, I am whole, I am glad to be me!