Instructor: Phoenix Ries
Community: Teenagers, High School Setting, 1 hour
Plan Creation Date: March 31, 2014
Yoga Calm Principle/Lesson Goal: Stillness
Props/Music Resources Required: Hoberman Sphere, mats, CD player
- Belly Breathing – 5-10 breathes with Hoberman Sphere (student led) after inviting students to settle and drop into themselves.
- Pulse Count
- Relax – Lie on back and imagine “your best self.” A time when you felt good about yourself, in alignment with your values and actions. Hold that image as we practice today.
- Leg Extensions – Do a series of leg extensions, happy baby, and hip openers and shoulder openers.
- Mat 20 – x 3 or 4 (depending on energy) Talk about what we do when things get difficult “what do you do when you are your “best self?” Pay attention to what you say to yourself that encourages/discourages…which is more helpful in getting you through difficulty?
- Warrior II – with a flow to half moon and Warrior III. Briefly touch on the importance of stillness to find balance, focus, inner strength.
- Yoga Series – Series of balance poses (similar to leg stretches while on floor) including tree, eagle and dancer. Ask for ideas about what helps, hinders. Bring back to “best self” and how it ties to being able to be still in body and mind.
- Bridge Pose
- Corpse Pose – with brief return to visualization of best self, tuning into that which is always there, within. Imagine a conversation with that part of you now. What does she have to say to you?