Instructor: Cori Levin
Community: Teenage Ages, Hospital Setting, Mental Health and Chemical Dependency Group, 45 minutes
Plan Creation Date: February 1, 2016
Yoga Calm Principle/Lesson Goal: Stillness
Key Words: resting, warmth, music and calm
Props: Hoberman balls, music, a rock from nature
- Chime – Ring the chime and when noise is finished ask class to raise a thumb. Volunteer student rings chime a second time. Take the time to sit tall and breathe during this time.
- Introduce myself in a calm voice.
- Belly Breathing – Each student takes a Hoberman sphere and one person is counting for group and chose another to decide how many(usually 5-10 breaths) when it closes we count. Breath in, breath out, ONE. We will breath together!
- Start with Mat 20 – done 1-2 times (often leave out DD with this population)
Encourage the students to Shine and reach when lifting up( ex:chair,lunge, mountain) – Lengthening spine in plank, cobra tree etc – In tree speak to feeling stillness of tress and than feel the wind move the branches and allow the body to sway.
- Notice the warmth of the body after the flow.
- Final Resting Pose – Ocean music. Challenge the group to not move and be fully still for 2 min- 6 min, depending on group. They love a challenge! Enjoy this time as a break in your day when you do not have to do anything. Feel like a piece of ice, melting into a puddle of water as you release all the muscles in the body.
- Pass around a cotton swab with lavender oil.
- Before they leave…..Encourage quiet listening in their everyday lives. 30 seconds to 3 min!