Instructor: Sarah Whiting
Community: School Setting, 30 minutes
Plan Creation Date: April 1, 2016
Yoga Calm Principle/Lesson Goal: Listening
- Belly Breathing – Breath work – Use a volunteer student to lead breathing and another student volunteer to count breaths.
- Pulse Count – Find your pulse, listen to the beat of your heart for 20 beats.
- Trust Walk Activity – Use a student volunteer to help demonstrate how the activity will work. Give students a chance to lead and then to follow.
- Process the Trust Walk Activity – What did you notice during this activity? Think for a moment about whether you enjoyed leading or following better. Would anyone like
to share which they preferred and why they preferred that particular role? Most groups/relationships/organization call for both leaders AND followers. Can anyone give examples of this? Possible answers- within a family, within our friendships, within the classroom, on a sports team). A person may be a leader in one area of their life and a follower in another. Does anyone have examples of this in their own life? Why is it helpful to have leadership skills as well as an ability to follow?
- One-Minute Exploration – Throughout your day today, be mindful of times when you are being a leader. Also, be mindful of times when you are following. Be curious about how that role is serving you and how it is serving others.