Instructor: Kristin Wittmayer
Community: School Ages (for someone with depressive symptoms), 30 minutes
Plan Creation Date: April 22, 2015
Yoga Calm Principle/Lesson Goal: Grounding
- Have environment set up with nature theme and/or flowers.
- Belly Breathing – Begin in child’s pose for deep breathing with encouragement to lengthen the inhale and exhale while sinking into the mat.
- Yoga-Based Movement – Down dog →forward fold →mountain →upward mountain
3-5 sets of this combination followed by volcano breath.
- Volcano Breath – Encourage participant to think of something that made him/her sad while then getting rid of those with the volcano. Promotes awareness of feelings and release of the hold of those feelings. In later reps of this, encouragement to think of a time when he/she felt joy and happiness while then releasing and sharing those happy feelings with others through the volcano effect.
- Guided Relaxation – “Bouncing Ball” (When I am down I can bounce back) from R.E.L.A.X or option of wood chopper with outward focus.