Instructor: Abbie Rexroad
Community: Preschool Ages, School Setting, 30 minutes
Plan Creation Date: January 20, 2016
Yoga Calm Principle/Lesson Goal: Grounding
- Volcano Breath – Start by standing and feeling strength in your legs as they are connected to the ground. Raise hands up slowly and focus on the breath while slowing releasing the arms/breath. Ask the kids “What’s a volcano”? Describe the volcano while taking breaths. Repeat 3x
- Student led Volcano Breath – Have a student volunteer lead the class in volcano breath. Allow them to choose how many breaths between 1 and 5. Allow them to choose a peer to count and have them complement each other after the breaths are completed.
- Partner Pull – Pair up children and have them grab the right wrist of the person across from them. Ask them to gently lean back (as if sitting in a chair) while supporting each other. Talk about grounding their feet and the support that provides their bodies and the weight of their friend. Have them switch arms and try again.
- Mountain Pose – talk about how strong and grounded a mountain is.
- Tree Pose – Talk about the roots in the ground, trees standing tall, wave branches in the wind.
- Roots Activity – Have the children stand with both feet on the ground and their hands on their hips. Visualize their roots growing into the ground to support them. Have them start making small circles with their bodies as their feet remain planted in the ground. Talk about how this feels in their bodies.
- Woodchopper – Have the children stand with their feet hip width apart and their hands clasped together. Show them how to raise their hands above their heads and use the momentum to bring their arms down as if they were chopping wood.
- Forward Bend – slowly wiggle their arms and fingers, sway their heads back and forth.
- Child’s Pose – Talk in a low slow voice while helping the children to relax in child’s pose.
- Relaxation – Guided visualization – Children can remain in child’s pose or lay on their backs if they choose. Read the mindful moments card: Imagine yourself sitting on a large warm rock on the top of a mountain. It is a beautiful clear day and you can see for miles. Where are you and what can you see?