Instructor: Abbie Rexroad
Community: Preschool Ages, School Setting, 30 minutes
Plan Creation Date: January 20, 2016
Yoga Calm Principle/Lesson Goal: Community
- Hoberman Sphere Belly Breathing – Ask the children to sit in a circle as the leader uses the ball to lead the breaths from their seated position. Select a child to count and have them complement each other afterwards.
- Pinwheel Breath – Pass out pinwheels and have them take turns blowing the pinwheels and passing them around the circle to allow their friends to take a turn.
- Name Game – with bean bag toss – Use a bean bag to toss to a friend, say their name and toss the ball to that person. Continue around the circle until everyone has had a turn. Have the children start with a hand raised and lower their hand after they have been called.
- Block Creek – Set up soft yoga clocks in a line. Show the children how to walk from block to block while relying on a friends support for balance. Talk about supporting each other and allow the children to walk from block to block. Have the children take a turn with their eyes closed and using a friends’ hand to help them get from block to block. Talk about how it felt to have support with eyes closed and with eyes open. How did it feel to have help and to help others?
- Back Drawing – Have the children come back to their circle and turn to the right so they are all facing the same direction. Have them sit down in a circle and draw a nice picture on their friends back. Guide them through different shapes and objects (i.e. heart, star, smiley face, etc)
- Relaxation – Guided Visualization – Have them children lay down with their eyes closed and think about a good friend. What makes that friend a good friend? How are you a good friend to others? Ask the children to think of something nice they did for someone today and challenge them to do something nice for someone later that day.