Population/Setting/Length: Preschool Ages, Counseling Agency Setting, 20-30 minutes
Plan Creation Date: February 4, 2016
Yoga Calm Principle/Lesson Goal: Community
- Hoberman Sphere — Demonstrate how to practice deep breathing with Hoberman Sphere. Have 1-2 volunteers lead in breathing and determine how many breaths the class needs (from 1-10). Encouraging the class to stay in sync with each other in breaths. Have each volunteer receive 1-3 compliments from the class. (about 1 -3 minutes)
- Arm Swings – Practice arm swings to practice personal space. Try to have the class stay in sync with arm swings. Add positive self-talk statements like “I am strong.” (1 -2 minutes)
- Star Prep — Spread children around the room and encourage them to be like bright shining stars. Demonstrate Star Pose. Use imagery to describe a shining star.
- Star – Use imagery to describe how strong and shiny they look as a group.
- Galaxy – Encourage children to form a circle and press hands together to form a Galaxy while in star. This exercise will challenge stillness, grounding and encourage community to help hold each other up. (5 minutes)
- Tree Circle – Practice Tree pose while children are in a circle. Have 1-3 children volunteer to be animals in the forest and come into the middle of the circle as they act out their animal. (5-10 minutes)
- Pinwheel Breathing – Provide each child with a pinwheel and have each child breathe gently to move the pinwheel and work on deep breathing. Have a volunteer determine how many breaths the class needs from 1-10 breaths. (1-3 minutes).
- Volcano Breath – Practice Volcano breath. Have the class imagine they are each a volcano exploding as they exhale. Have a student volunteer to demonstrate Volcano breath.
Instructor: Dawn Craig