Instructor: Bijoli Biswas
Class: Morning Focus Group, 30 Minutes
Community: Mixed ages, Grades K-5
Plan Creation Date: April 15, 2010
Yoga Calm Principle/Lesson Goal: Listening
• Hoberman Breathing: Have a student demonstrate deep breathing while expanding and contracting the Hoberman Sphere as the class follows.
• Back Breathing with Child’s Pose: One student takes Child pose while another places both hands on the first student’s low back. Student in Child’s pose breathes slowly into the low back and into partner’s hands, feeling the hands rise and fall like waves in an ocean.
• Roots: In Mountain with body activated and feet firmly on floor make a rocking movement and make it smaller and smaller you balance on the center of your feet.
• Sun Salutation (3 times with different leaders): Focus on activation and strength. Work on alignment principles – bear paw hands, feet strongly rooted in standing positions.
• Activate/ Relax walk: Have a student demonstrate Mountain and how to Activate (firm muscles and focus attention). Students walk around room in a relaxed manner. Upon activate command students freeze, firm and focus; upon Relax command they continue walking. After a few cycles students walk both activated and relaxed.
• Back Drawing: Stand in a circle, turn to the right, and sit in a cross-legged position. Place hands on the back of the person in front of you. Begin by making rain on the person’s back, then rain down back, thunder, lightening, puffy clouds, happy face for sun. Draw a flower for your friend then draw a gift or secret message for this person on their back.
• Guided Relaxation: Lie still on backs, eyes closed. Read “Pleasant Dreams” page 152 from Ready, Set, RELAX by Jeffrey Alen and Roger Klein.