Population/Setting/Length: Middle School Ages, School Setting, 30 minutes
Plan Creation Date: May 1, 2017
Yoga Calm Principle/Lesson Goal: Listening
- Belly Breathing – Sitting or lying down, have one student lead class in deep breathing using Hoberman Sphere. Ask students to tune in to their inner wisdom, what is it telling them? What does their heart say? What do they need in the practice today?
- Compliment Circle – Each student takes a turn being in the center, received a compliment from someone on the group. Review guidelines for compliment circle: what makes a quality compliment, eye contact, how to accept a compliment.
- Activate/Relax Walk – When are times in life we need to be activated? Relaxed? Both?
- Exploring Feelings – brainstorm a list of feelings. Have students practicing acting out various feelings. Have them stand in mountain, close eyes and start to tap all over body to music. Where they do they feel various feelings in their body?
- Discussion on inner wisdom – what came up for students during Exploring Feelings? Is anyone willing to share? Give own example. Ask students to lie on back, deep breaths, and meditate to soft music. Ask them to send love to where it is needed today and to notice if there is any action they need to take to care for themselves during this practice or after they leave the session. Ask for volunteers to share if willing. If no volunteers, give an example of what I noticed and will do to care for myself that day.
Instructor: Erin Bartlett