Instructor: Linda Scherer
Community: Middle School ages, Day Treatment Skills Group, 30 minutes
Plan Creation Date: July 29, 2013
Yoga Calm Principle/Lesson Goal: Community
Academic/Therapeutic/Other Goals: Increase students sense of belonging to a larger whole and their trust that they can accept and find support in other people
Props/Music Resources required: Blocks, music, notepaper, blindfold
- Breathing – Hoberman sphere with student leading 10 breaths
- Volcano breath – Ask students to think of a positive they receive from a group they are a part of and something they share with a group.
- Roots – Do roots exercise. What makes them strong? Ask students if they want to share person who gives them strength.
- Tree Circle/Tree Challenge – Do community supported tree exercise and tree challenge. Talk about ability to offer support and use support in balance pose.
- Block Creek – Play Block Creek and talk about the difference between hand support, voice support and no support while blindfolded.
- Calm Voice – Do calm voice exercise.
- Volcano Breath – Return to volcano breath and bringing strength to heart center.
- Discussion – Bring shoulders back to a heart opening position and discuss the importance of openness in community. Demonstrate the difference between a closed stance and an heart open stance.
- Relaxation – Come down to a lying or sitting position and conclude with guided relaxation boat ride.