Instructor: Julia Peterson
Community: Middle School Ages, ASD Small Group, School Setting, 30 minutes
Plan Creation Date: June 15, 2015
Yoga Calm Principle/Lesson Goal: Community
Class Environment: classroom around kidney table with lights dimmed, calming music, basket with rocks
- Belly Breathing – Hoberman sphere breathing -while standing as a group facing inwards as a circle, one student will lead with the Hoberman sphere, and another counting off a selected number of breaths, then give compliments.
- Compliments/Social Thinking – go around the group and think about a compliment for each person and encourage teamwork.
- Roots – stand tall in a circle and activate your body with your eyes closed listening to the CD, circle your body to the right and then the left and then stand strong in the middle, think about the compliments you shared and who helps compliment you.
- Tree – now hold onto that compliment and see if you can stand on one foot, then switch to the other foot, how did it feel?
- Tree Circle – now stand close together and reach hands out to each other and practice standing on one foot and then the other, do you notice a different from the support of the group.
- Tree – now practice the tree one more time with just yourself and see if you have more support the second time.
- One Minute Relaxation – listening to the music think about the tree and the tree circle and how your group/class supports you and people you feel are in your community.
- Community Circle – begin the community worksheet circle and discuss the circle individually at another session.