Population/Setting/Length: Middle School Ages, After School Group, School Setting, 45 minutes
Plan Creation Date: May 1, 2017
Yoga Calm Principle/Lesson Goal: Community
- Discuss Theme – Community. One of my hopes in offering this yoga club is to not only give you all an opportunity to try something new, reduce stress and become stronger, but also to build community. You have all participated in Community Building days in your classrooms. What is the goal of those days or activities? Discuss. If it doesn’t come up stress that an important part of my definition of community is one where we accept and support one another.
- Child’s Pose – Close your eyes, let your body get heavy. Notice your breath. Start to let go of your day. Let any thoughts crowding your mind wash away with each exhale. Bring your mind to this room, this experience. If at any point, something we’re doing in class feels like it’s too much, you can choose to rest in child’s pose.
- Belly Breathing – with the Hoberman Sphere with student leader and student counter and opportunity for compliments
- Warming Up Flow – Cat/cow, alternate arm/leg kicks, upward mountain, crescent moon, downward dog, forward fold,
- Flow 2 – Mountain, upward mountain, forward fold, warrior I, warrior II, downward dog, plank, cobra, downward dog, warrior I, warrior II, forward fold, chair, upward mountain, mountain – slowly at first, work up to one movement one breath (3 times)
- Shoulder Clock
- Partner Pull
- Block Creek – Find a new partner for this. First with partner, eyes open. Challenge 1 – solo, eyes open. Challenge 2 – with partner, eyes closed. Challenge 3 – with partner and blocker while others throw stuffed bunnies.
- Community Circle
- Leg Extensions/Foot Circles
- Twist – Have students lie on their backs, pull their knees to their chest and let their legs drop to one side. Switch sides.
- Guided Relaxation – Community themed guided relaxation incorporating a stream and a special person. Share special person if comfortable.
Instructor: Molly Dwyer