Instructor: Kelly Mulvehill
Community: Kindergarten ages, School/Classroom Setting, 45-60 minutes
Plan Creation Date: March 1, 2015
Yoga Calm Principle/Lesson Goal: Stillness
- Belly Breathing with Snowglobe – Shake the snowglobe and have the students do belly breathing while they watch all the snow come to stillness.
- Volcano Breath – Practice volcano breath and send a wish to a friend. Let the children share their wish.
- Rock and Roll to Boat – Be a very still boat on a lake waiting for the fish. You don’t want to move a muscle.
- Roll up to standing – Notice where you feel your muscles as your body helps you stand up. As you stand, notice how your body is still.
- Mountain – Alternate between “wimpy” hunched over mountain and then strong, tall, quiet mountain.
- Crescent Moon – Now bring the arms overhead and side bend to one side to be a sky full of moons, then to the other side
- Tree – Allow a student to be the leader and demonstrate how trees can move. They can move their branches and sway from side to class. Have the other students mirror the leader. Bring them back to stillness at the end.
- Back Drawing – Ask the students to come into a circle and practice back drawing. They can practice writing their name, their ABC’s and numbers. Tell them a story and have them draw different symbols. At the end of the practice have them draw a gift on the person’s back in front of them. Then they can whisper the gift into the ear of the child in front of them.