Instructor: Ruth Haske
Community: Kindergarten Ages, School Setting, 45 minutes
Plan Creation Date: August 15, 2015
Yoga Calm Principle/Lesson Goal: Grounding
- Belly Breathing – with one student leading with Hoberman sphere and another counting off a selected number of breaths (up to 10). Ask for compliments for the leader & counter. “Can you make your body feel really heavy, like you are a big (breathing) rock?”
- Pinwheel Breath – show the children how to breath in through their nose, hold, and then blow out through their mouth to make the pinwheel spin ‘round. Sitting in a circle pass the pinwheel ‘round allowing for two breaths per child.
- Modified Top 10 Flow – practice the flow one time whilst holding each pose for the count of 5. Finish by standing in mountain pose. “Send roots down into the earth and lasers up into the sky”. Practice the flow with a gentle drum beat.
- Volcano Breath
- Crescent moon
- Dancer (modified)
- Alignment – have one child demonstrate plank, dolphin, downward dog & child. Talk about how your body feels strong and anchored to the ground. What sensations do you feel in your arms/legs/tummy/ neck etc.? Invite compliments for the child who demonstrated the poses.
- Plank Challenge – invite the children to choose a pose that demonstrates grounding (offer either plank, dolphin or downward dog) and decide upon how many beats to hold it for. Offer a responsible alternative of child’s pose for anyone who would prefer to choose this instead. Invite compliments for the challenge.
- Block Creek – Using the phrases “I am strong” & “I can do it” invite each child to travel across the blocks whilst trying not to fall into the river. “What can the rest of us be doing to help and support him/her?”. First time across look at your feet. Second time across try looking at a point in the room, or a friend stood at the end of the trail. When students are more confident introduce two trolls who try to distract them so that they fall into the river (only do this for students who are showing readiness for this challenge).
- Twist – laying on your back on the mat, practice belly breathing whilst in this pose. What does your tummy/shoulders/legs feel like?
- Guided Relaxation – remaining in twist or lying on back guide through a relaxation story about traveling across a fast moving river. A friend is standing on the other side and is waiting to share a picnic with you (you can see the cupcakes, lemonade & watermelon).