Instructor: Erin Bartlett
Community: Intermediate and Middle School Ages, School Setting, 60 minutes
Plan Creation Date: November 1, 2016
Yoga Calm Principle/Lesson Goal: Grounding
- Belly Breathing – in chair.
- Pulse Count – what did they notice about their pulse? What does that tell them about bell breathing and its effect on the body?
- Alternate Arm/Leg Kicks – come to floor and stretch out arm and opposite leg. Repeat several times. If group is familiar with activity, have a student lead.
- Dolphin – repeat 4x, saying to self, “I am strong and in control.”
- Boat – Flip over and sit on mat. Bend knees to chest, grab backs of thighs and balance on “sit bones.”
- Forward Bend – Stand and move to forward bend, chair available if needed. Ask students to tune inward – What is their inner wisdom telling them right now?
- Strong Voice – Have students lie on floor or sit in chair with eyes closed, whichever feels most comfortable to them (whichever honors treating himself/herself like a king or queen). Read sentences on strong voice. Once complete, give time to write out answers. Ask for volunteers to share their responses.
- Deep Breathing – either lying down or sitting in chair. What do you need today? Where do you need love in your body? Send strength and love to that area.
- Relaxation – Mindful moment card on Grounding.