Instructor: Kate Somerville
Community: High School Ages, School Setting, 35-45 minutes
Plan Creation Date: April 11, 2015
Yoga Calm Principle/Lesson Goal: Grounding
- Relaxation Pose – Feel yourself connecting with your breath. Feel your body connecting with the earth firm beneath you.
- Leg Extensions – Use a strap over the sole of the raised foot to hold leg up and stretch the calf muscles.
- Alternate Arm/Leg Kicks – Lift opposite arm and leg in unison. Then take raised arm and leg out to the side and then back squeezing into the mid-line.
- Cat/Cow – Inhale out on cat, inhale in or cow. Breathe slowly and smoothly, moving from cat cow and matching the motion of the breath. Feel the gentle stretch in your spine and your rib cage.
- Dog Chasing It’s Tail – Make a big side bend by looking over your shoulder toward one hip and then the other. Inhale to one side, exhale back to center. Keep hips centered over the knees.
- Downward Dog – Point fingers like rays of the sun, pressing hips back and walking feet to end of the mat. Inhale to lift heels up, exhale and lower heels. Feel your hands press forward and feet press back. Walk feet back to hands and rise up from Forward Bend.
- Roots – Practice drawing the four corners of the foot.
- Tree – Press you feet into the floor sending down roots into the earth or imagine a love one holding your standing leg down to the ground.
- Tree Challenge 1 – Pair off and feel the support from your partner. Challenge your comfort zone and maintain eye contact
- Tree Circle – Students form a circle and practice tree, then raise hands to use each other for support. Feel the strength of the independent tree pose, feel the strength of the supported tree pose.
- Compliment Circle – Students sit down in tree circle to give compliments.
- Mindful Moment Card – Choose a tree themed card and have students finish class lying on their backs in relaxation pose.